From Punta Cana to Santo Domingo by Bus
You can reach the capital of the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo, from Punta Cana by bus. Moreover, the journey is affordable, relatively fast, and comfortable. Along the way, you can witness the simple Dominican life and interesting vegetation, such as sugarcane fields or mango trees.
If you want to explore the country while saving money, bus travel is the way to go. From the capital, you can then take a bus to any other city, whether it’s Santiago, the second-largest city, or Las Terrenas, a resort town on the Samana Peninsula.
Buses from Punta Cana (Bavaro) are operated by two companies, with little difference between them as they have the same schedule and follow nearly identical routes. Still, let’s compare them.
Expreso Punta Cana:
- Fare: 400 pesos (7 USD)
- Travel time: 3 – 3.5 hours
- Detailed information can be found HERE
Comfortable buses with toilets However, tickets cannot be purchased in advance; you need to arrive at the bus station a bit early to catch the scheduled bus. In Bavaro, the station is near the Friusa area. Additionally, you can board the express bus in Veron, where there is another stop, near the central plaza. From Veron, the bus goes directly to Santo Domingo without stops.
- Fare: 450 pesos (8 USD)
- Travel time: 3.5 – 4 hours
- Schedule can be viewed HERE
Double-decker buses with enhanced comfort, wide aisles between seats, and individual sockets for phone charging. Slightly more time at stops is due to carrying mail, including large packages.
Another company, Sitrabapu, runs buses between Bavaro and Higüey. By the way, if you miss the bus to Santo Domingo, you can go to Higüey and take a bus to Santo Domingo, where they run more frequently.
- Try to arrive at the bus station a bit earlier to purchase tickets at the counter. Usually, the bus departs on schedule without delays.
- Bring a warm hoodie; sometimes, it can get too cold on the bus due to Dominicans’ love for air conditioning.
- If traveling from Santo Domingo to Punta Cana, pay attention to the stops, as the conductor announces them.
Only on the way from the capital to Bavaro, the bus stops at Punta Cana Airport.
In any case, getting from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo by bus is not difficult. Whether you prioritize speed or comfort is up to you.